A suite of Victorian properties in Streatham, London has been refinanced and is set to benefit from a series of energy efficiency improvements following a £5m property investment loan from Secure Trust Bank (STB) Real Estate Finance.
Brokered through Aureum Finance, the deal for the 14 Streatham properties was sealed thanks to STB's ability to consolidate the borrowers' previous individual mortgages all under one loan. With a combined valuation in excess of £10m and providing 42 units, the borrower's loans were maturing at different stages with different lenders, and the set up was taking a heavy toll on mortgage management, limiting scope for the investors to focus on other areas of the business.
To help reduce this administrative burden, STB refinanced 90% of the portfolio debt in November 2023, with the remaining 10% to be added to the loan as other lenders' products reach their maturity date.
As well as refinancing existing debt, the facility included £2m of equity release. The money will allow the borrower to undertake energy improvement projects across the properties and also expand its property portfolio.
Dominic Clewlow from Aureum Finance, who brokered the deal with STB, said: "Our Streatham-based client faced a lot of hurdles when trying to refinance their portfolio. After being let down on so many previous occasions by their existing lenders, we knew we needed to deliver a solution quickly.
"We realised instantly that the borrower's portfolio didn't fit within many banks' and building societies' criteria, so we needed a tailored solution. We also wanted to deliver a great service for the client who mentioned they really appreciated the personal touch they used to get from their lender.
"We turned to STB as we knew they ticked all the right boxes. Working with Mike Feasey at STB was brilliant, his knowledge and expertise in the property finance sector played a crucial part in getting this deal over the line. Mike and I worked closely with the client to structure a bespoke finance package that met all their needs, and we were left with a very happy client."
Acting on the deal, Mike Feasey, Relationship Director at Secure Trust Bank, said: "When we were presented this opportunity by Dominic, rather than looking at it from a purely numbers and forms perspective, we instead got to know the borrowers from a personal point of view.
"Taking this approach meant we were able to truly understand the long-term objectives and plans for the portfolio. Forming this relationship is key to us as we look to work with our borrowers to ensure they can secure the finance they need, and we're very pleased to have been able to help free up our customer from administration to focus on other areas of their business."
For more information about Secure Trust Bank Real Estate Finance, please visit https://www.securetrustbank.com/business-finance/real-estate-finance