Skip to main content Skip to footer

You'll need to tell us so that we can update our records and you may need to apply for a grant of probate. This will mean that you can legally handle your partner's finances for accounts where you're not a joint account holder. The government has a website that can help you: 

The estate of your partner may need to pay inheritance tax to HMRC. This will be due six months after their death and the executer will need to estimate the value of the estate and contact HMRC to find out if inheritance tax is owed. If they leave their inheritance to you, inheritance tax won't be charged if you're the spouse or civil partner of the deceased.

Secure Trust Bank PLC. Registered in England and Wales 541132. Registered Office: One Arleston Way, Solihull, B90 4LH.
Authorised by the Prudential Regulation Authority and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and the Prudential Regulation Authority. Our registration number is 204550

All communications with us will be monitored/recorded to improve the quality of our service and for your protection and security.